A Pitbull is not just one breed of dog but the American Pitbull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Bulldog. Some people also classify Dogo Argentino, Pesa Canarios as a Pitbull. The Pitbull, which is loved and admired, by a great number of people is also considered frightful and dangerous to others.
Here are some amazing facts about the Pitbulls.
- The Pitbull was originaly trained to be a fighting dog before it was later trained as a human companion.
- They were initially raised in England and brought to America by settlers.
- The Pitbull was used for blood sport known as bear baiting, where it was used to torture bears for their viewer’s amusement and after it was banned, they were used for killing rats where a pit will be full of rats, while pitbulls were released into the pit to see how fast they can kill them.
- They have a life span of eight to twelve years typically.
- Contrary to people’s believe that the jaw of a Pitbull locks when it bites, it does not lock just like the jaw of other dogs.
- They have been considered as human companions that people even get to trust their children with them, and they are mostly called nanny dogs.
- They are used as guide to help the disabled persons and they also serve as search dogs, therapy dogs, etc.
- They are referred to as some of the best fence-climbing dogs, due to their strong and muscular nature.
- They do not always show aggression or growl before attacking.
- They sometimes attack other dogs even when the dog shows sign of fear because of their breeding. Experts recommend that you associate them with other puppies while they are still very young; to train them against these aggression.
- They have been banned in countries like the UK, Canada, New Zealand, Norway and Belgium.
- They weigh between 14kg to 27kg with average height of 46cm to 6ocm.
- They are used by farmers to protect their livestock from wild animals and for hunting, at the same time used in homes for protection and security.
- Pitbulls were earlier used as mascots and in advert placement like the World War 1 poster, where the Pitbull was used as the Patriotic representative of the United States.
- Because of their nature, they need regular exercise like a long walk everyday, weight pulling and playing flyballs.
- Pitbulls also sometimes suffer from health conditions like hip dysplasia, congenital heart defect, cataract and some even suffer from skin allergies.
- People who wish to own the Pitbull are to start training them from when they are three weeks old to get them less aggressive.
- Pitbulls are capable of blocking pains like other dogs. They feel it but are capable of blocking it when their concentration is on something else .
- Pitbull puppies have a wrinkled forehead but it gets smooth as the grow.
- Pitbulls enjoy eating but are prone to allergies, so is best if they are fed with food that has high amount of proteins to avoid any health risk.
*This post has affiliate links to support our website please read our Disclosure.